Monday, November 1, 2010

I Have to Clean Up My Filing Cabinet

I have to admit I’m a procrastinator sometimes and I like to hold on to things. Probably that’s why I’m running out of room in my filing cabinet. I should clean my filing cabinet at least every 2 or 3 month.

It’s already hard to open it and close it. I have no choice, I have to get rid of what I don’t really need. I sat down for a moment to figure out where to start. First of all I went to get an empty kitchen trash bag and my paper shredder.

I figured that the best way to do it is to start with the oldest records. I found out that I had records of my old computers I don’t even have anymore and cars I don’t own anymore. Once I started to see results it was getting easier and easier to proceed. I started to shred everything with information I didn’t just one to throw in the trash bag.

Than I started to go thru some credit card and bank statement. I decided to save only the last 3 statements and shred the rest. I did this with most of the other bills too. If I ever need an older one I can go online and check it there and download it if I really need. Then I was going through the medical records. I kept most of these records except the ones for regular visits.

I spent about an hour doing this and I felt much better afterwards. I promised to myself that I will do this more often.

No comments: